Human Resources Consultant
Reports to: CFO
Status: Part-Time, Exempt
Schedule: Monday – Friday, approx. 15 hours per week
Dates: February 2017 – June 30, 2017 (approx.)
Campus: Upper School (3700 Coldwater Canyon, Studio City, CA 91604)
The Harvard-Westlake Business Office consists of a small, highly efficient group of colleagues whose work impacts a wide array of school functions on a daily basis. We develop and maintain systems and policies that benefit faculty, staff, parents, students, and our extended alumni family alike, all to enable Harvard-Westlake to be among the premier institutions of its kind.
The human resources consultant (HRC) will help fill-in for the human resources director during a maternity leave. The HRC will provide high-level HR expertise and advice to the business office staff, and help direct the work of an interim human resources associate. Additionally, the HRC will represent the business offices HR operations to the School’s staff and faculty outside of the business office.
This position will not be responsible for recruitment, hiring processes, hiring decisions, compensation decisions, performance review process, and other elements often associated with human capital and/or talent management during the term of this agreement. Due to the limited duration of this position, major protocol changes are not expected to occur. The goal of this position is to lend high level HR expertise and a steady hand to the team for an interim period.
Specific duties and responsibilities may include, but will not be limited to:
Expert HR Advisor
- Advise and assist School administrators and business office colleagues with delicate employee situations (complex leaves of absence, performance and counselling issues, separation of employment, 403b loans/withdrawals, salary advances, etc).
- Provide guidance to and oversight of the interim human resources associate. Ensure that position’s thorough and timely completion new hire administration, terminating employee administration and other projects assigned to that position.
New Staff/Faculty Onboarding
- Provide a friendly and professional onboarding experience for new staff and faculty starting in the 2017-18 school year. Coordinate with the interim HR associate on new hire administration for new faculty and staff. Coordinate with the Benefits Administrator on benefit enrollment.
- Upon request by School administrations, research, analyze and present salary data to better inform compensation decisions for new hires and existing faculty/staff.
Leave of Absence Administration
- Prepare FMLA paperwork along with materials concerning SDI, PFLI and LTD.
- Track and log employees’ leaves.
Special Projects & Miscellaneous
- Coordinate with communications and publications staff on the update to various guides and publications.
- Facilitate/coordinate the use of temps in various departments on campus.
- Sign off on HR invoices and payment authorizations for specified purposes.
- Respond to inquiries regarding school policies, vacation/sick leave balances, etc
- Assist CFO and Business Manager with aspects of preparation and execution of 2017-18 school year employment agreements.
- Assist CFO and Business Manager with a 403b contract conversion process.
- Assist the Benefit Administrator with health plan renewal and open enrollment.
Skills and Attributes
Qualified candidates must possess the following:
- A bachelors (at a minimum) from an accredited college or university.
- At least eight years progressive professional experience in the field of human resources.
- Superior knowledge of human resources with a specialty in HR operations and compliance.
- Ability to use technology in a productive and efficient way. Must be dexterous with MS Excel, Word, Outlook, other MS Office applications and Adobe Acrobat. Must be proficient in and able to quickly learn relational databases and various online applications.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize daily tasks.
- Discretion and commitment to maintaining the confidentiality of employee data.
- Adept at problem-detection and problem-solving.
- Ability to work with a variety of personality types.
- Commitment to excellence and meeting or exeeding expectations.
- Interest in the mission of high-achieving, independent schools.
Harvard-Westlake is arguably one of the finest independent high schools in the country, located in Los Angeles, CA and serving approximately 1,600 students. Classes for 7th through 9th grades take place on our Middle School campus in the Holmby Hills neighborhood while 10th through 12th grades are on our Upper School campus in Studio City. With over 300 full-time employees, an even greater number of part-time and seasonal employees, hundreds of vendor relationships, and a variety of programs to support, the Business Office is based out of the Upper School campus but maintains an active presence in both locations.
The school is the result of the 1991 merger between Harvard School (founded 1900) and Westlake School (founded 1904). Students are offered an array of college preparatory courses, athletics, and extracurricular activities, and matriculate from Harvard-Westlake with an appreciation for learning, integrity, and purpose beyond themselves for whatever their next step may be.
Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. Work hours will vary and include some evenings and weekends. Harvard-Westlake offers a variety of employment benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, a defined contribution retirement plan, generous time-off policies, a cafeteria draw account, and a wealth of talented employees who care about the school.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Harvard-Westlake School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, place of national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation or physical handicap in its employment practices.
Please upload your resume and letter of interest at https://harvardwestlake.recruiterbox.com/jobs/fk0mm8u. Thank you.