The Student Athlete Advisory Council (SAAC) is a representative body of student athletes in the 10-12 grades at Harvard-Westlake School (HWS). The mission of the council focuses on three areas:
- The Student Athlete Advisory Council is the official representation and advocate for the student athlete population to the faculty, staff and administration.
- Student athletes are invited to solicit the assistance of SAAC when confronted with academic/athletic/performance conflicts
- SAAC may mediate disagreements between student athletes and teachers/coaches
- SAAC provides suggestions on how to successfully navigate Harvard-Westlake as an athlete
- The Student Athlete Advisory Council encourages athletic participation and support from the student community.
- SAAC sponsors a program each season (fall, winter, spring) in an effort to raise awareness about the sport to the school community
- SAAC makes recommendations to fans for appropriate behavior at athletic contests
- SAAC investigates ways to communicate athletic news to the school community
- The Student Athlete Advisory Council partners with the Athletic Department to provide student athletes with the best athletic experience possible.
- SAAC reports the minutes of each meeting to the Athletic Department
- SAAC provides suggestions to the Athletic Department on improvements that can be made to the student athlete experience at HWS
- The Athletic Department consults with SAAC when changes are made that will affect the student athlete experience
Membership and Meetings
- Four (4) council members from each class are elected by the athletic administration and serve a term of one school year.
- A chairperson or co-chairpersons, secretary and treasurer are chosen from the membership at the beginning of each school year.
- A class representative is chosen from the sophomore and junior classes.
- Meetings are held every Monday during the Activities Period in Seaver 204.
- Council members that miss more than two meetings per athletic season can be dismissed from the council.