The Student Athlete Leadership Council (SALC) is a representative body of student athletes in the 10-12 grades at Harvard-Westlake School (HWS). The mission of the council focuses on three areas:
- The Student Athlete Leadership Council is the official representation and advocate for the student athlete population to the faculty, staff and administration.
- Student athletes are invited to solicit the assistance of SALC when confronted with academic/athletic/performance conflicts
- SALC may mediate disagreements between student athletes and teachers/coaches
- SALC provides suggestions on how to successfully navigate Harvard-Westlake as an athlete
- The Student Athlete Leadership Council encourages athletic participation and support from the student community.
- SALC sponsors a program each season (fall, winter, spring) in an effort to raise awareness about the sport to the school community
- SALC makes recommendations to fans for appropriate behavior at athletic contests
- SALC investigates ways to communicate athletic news to the school community
- The Student Athlete Leadership Council partners with the Athletic Department to provide student athletes with the best athletic experience possible.
- SALC provides suggestions to the Athletic Department on improvements that can be made to the student athlete experience at HWS
- The Athletic Department consults with SALC when changes are made that will affect the student athlete experience
Membership and Meetings
- One member from each team is nominated by their Program Head and inducted by the athletic administration to serve a term of one school year.
- Meetings are held monthly.
- Council members that miss more than two meetings per athletic season can be dismissed from the council.